Friday 15 April 2011

Paul Curran about The Tsar’s Bride by Rimsky-Korsakov: “The opera dealing with themes that are still startlingly today”


The first performance of The Tsar’s bride by Rimsky-Korsakov at the Royal Opera House was a success. It was a debut of the famous Scottish director, Paul Curran.

- Why did you choose this opera in particular?
- When I first saw the score for The Tsar’s Bride back in 2000 year I bought it on the spot. I didn’t know what to do with this Russian opera since I had never seen or heard it before. But perhaps subconsciously I was creating ideas about how it could be staged and it was extremely interesting to work with such material. I felt that I, more, perhaps than other directors had a deeper understanding of the atmosphere surrounding the play, because of my extensive knowledge of Russia and her culture. The opera, although written in 19 century seemed at the same time very modern, dealing with themes that are still startlingly relevant today.
- Are you serious? A story set in the 16th century about Ivan Terrible has parallels with today?
- In my play the same events are unfolding in modern Russia, especially in Moscow. I thought that Russian actors would be against performing in such a controversial opera 
but they have really supported me. I was sure that it would not be possible to stage an historical opera effectively (such a huge difference in time) with only the original materials. This is not a museum! It’s theatre.
I found that this opera actually highlighted the similarities in problems today and 400 years ago. Look at these parallels: boyare (those who surrounded the Tsar, with power concentrated in their hands), oprichniki (the tsar’s special police) and uncontrolled power. And today? The arrival of the Nouveau-riche, strict police and corruption. Where is the difference?
- Who is the tsar?
- Everyone who knows a little bit about Russia knows who the tsar and god is…
- How did the non Russian members of the cast get to grips with the complex material?
- Griaznov is from Copenhagen. (Replied Curran in Russian).
- You mean the actor Johan Reuter who plays the character of Gregory Griznov?
- Yes, of course his is the lead in the opera. Look at this surname… it  reveals something of his nature.  Griznov means “dirty” or change just one letter Grozny and you have the word “horrible”.  This nuance will be lost on some audiences and of course on some of the actors too. But Johan Reuter, he is just wonderful, - Paul delights in talking about him. How hard he works every day? How he study the language? Our rehearsals begin at 11 but Johan is in the theatre by 9.30. 
- Who helps you with the design of the costumes and set?
- I have a designer Kevin Knight. We have put on 26 productions together and I really value our friendship. The Lighting designer is American, David Jacques. We work a lot together and understand each other very well.

Ludmilla Yablokova

No comments:

Post a Comment